Friday, June 28, 2013

Friday Pie-Day: Mango Pineapple Pie



This was one of the more unique pies we have made for our “pie of the month” tradition this year. It was tropical, very flavorful, and rather easy to make. (I need to start rating them by level of difficulty… this was probably 3 or 4 out of 10.)





And just look at how beautiful it turned out! OK, back to the beginning.




I was looking up the recipe we had used for the pineapple pie we made back in 2011, and I stumbled across this gem. I immediately knew we had to incorporate it into our schedule for this month, and we wasted no time in doing so!




Here were the ingredients I used.




As a Floridian, I am not shocked by tropical fruits. However, I did have questions about the preparations of mangoes. Thus, I turned to the internet and learned how to cut mangoes. It was quite fun!




After cutting them in thirds, I sliced the cheeks into long pieces without cutting through the skin.




Then I scooped the slices out of the skin.




And I tried to salvage as much as I could from the pulpy seed in the middle.




This article was especially helpful in information about whether or not mangoes turn brown if you cut them the night before as I did (they don’t), how much 1 mango equals recipe-wise (about 1 cup), and whether or not they can be frozen. (They can!) And it had a ton of recipes for things with mangoes!




Also, I discovered that Mexico produces most of the mangoes we consume in the U.S. (That held true for the 5 mangoes we bought from our local grocery store!)




These were the two main ingredients in the pie (as the name might suggest). Five cups of mango and one cup of canned pineapple – can you guess which flavor was more overpowering? Definitely mango!




I also mixed in sugar – both white and brown.




Then I added some cornstarch to thicken up all that juice, and some apple juice for good measure.




And this is what it all looked like before I stirred it!




So I stirred it…




And it ended up like this! The recipe then said to let it sit in the bowl for 20 minutes. OK, I can do that! (Well, except for the part when I was so tempted to taste a fingerful! It smelled so good!)



Those 20 minutes were the perfect amount of time to make and roll out a pie crust.




Then I poured it into the bottom pie crust and sprinkled some slivered almonds on top of the pie filling.




Oh my goodness! It smelled so great! And it looked amazing too! I just couldn’t stop photographing it!




Ahem, anyway, the last step was to cover that beauty up with the top crust. I made sure to vent the top so the pie wouldn’t explode or anything in the oven.




But I forgot to check the sides of the pie crust. Apparently I didn’t seal them as well as I thought I had.




We let the pie sit and cool and thicken up on the inside for about an hour and a half before we ate it, and it was still pretty warm.




It was also a little gloppy on the inside (though completely delicious!), but I chalk that up to having some extra mango pulp/juice to go along with the slices.




I love how you can see the slivered almonds right under the crust. They gave it a nice crunch and complemented the flavor nicely.




We had fun “cleaning up” the pie pan too!




Ummm, and there weren’t very many leftovers!




Mango Pineapple Pie (recipe from All Recipes)


4½ cups mangos, peeled and sliced

1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained

1¼ cups white sugar

¼ cup packed light brown sugar

2 tbsp. apple juice

5 tbsp. cornstarch


¼ cup slivered almonds (optional)



  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Mix mangos, pineapple, sugars, applesauce, and cornstarch. Let stand in a bowl for 20 minutes.
  3. Pour filling in unbaked pie shell; sprinkle almonds over pie filling if desired. Cover with top crust, and seal edges. Cut slits in top of outer crust.
  4. Bake for 1 hour, or until bubbles burst slowly and crust is golden brown. Let pie cool, and serve at room temperature.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...