Friday, February 8, 2013

Friday Pie-Day: Oreo Cream Pie



I should have listened to my sister. When we decided to do an Oreo pie for February’s pie of the month in 2011, she found this recipe on Kraft Foods website.




She emailed me a link with ideas for modifications, recommending that we simply buy a pre-made Oreo pie crust instead of going to the trouble of making our own. As you can see, there is no Oreo crust in the ingredients picture.





Well, I thought it couldn’t be that hard to make my own Oreo crust, so I disregarded her advice. It turned into a 45 minute ordeal that I now share with you as I shake my head.




It was 10 pm, and I had a brain block. I realized soon afterward that I could have employed any number of tactics to make the Oreos into crumbs… I could have put them in a baggie and rolled them out with a rolling pin or beat them with a hammer. If I had had a food processor, I could have ground them up that way. But no, I used a spoon and my hands – it was a pretty arduous task!




My hands got messy several times throughout the process, and whenever I washed them off, they were extra soft. At least something good came of it (well, I mean besides the pie, obviously).




Chopping Oreos for the pie filling was a piece of cake after the crushing-for-crust ordeal. And look how many are left in the package!




Instead of the vanilla pudding that was recommended, we used Oreo flavored pudding and whisked it in with milk for 2 minutes precisely.




Just look at this beautiful combination – before stirring it up and placing it in the crust.




We topped it with Oreo crumbs too, just to make it look prettier, and because who wouldn’t want more Oreos?




Recommended serving includes a glass of milk and maybe another full Oreo or two.




Oreo Cream Pie (recipe adapted from Kraft Recipes)


For Crust (or just buy a pre-made Oreo crust):

36 Oreo cookies, divided*

¼ cup butter, melted

For Filling:

2 pkgs (3.4 oz. each) Oreo flavored instant pudding

1½ cups cold milk

1 tub whipped cream

*at least 12 Oreo cookies needed for pie filling if not making crust



  1. Crush 24 cookies finely; mix with butter. Press onto bottom and side of 9 inch pie plate.
  2. Chop remaining 12 cookies. Beat pudding mixes and milk into large bowl with whisk for 2 minutes. Stir in whipped cream and chopped cookies.
  3. Spoon into crust. Garnish with Oreo crumbs, if desired. Refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours).

7 comments:

  1. yummy........making one tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum my boyfriend and daughter are going to love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you do with the Oreo icing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally attempted this. Followed directions and everything. Let sit in fridge overnight. Took it out and it was like soup in a crust. Made me sad

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size of Oreo pudding? In your picture it shows a 4.2 oz box but your instructions say 2 3.4 oz boxes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...