Saturday, August 24, 2013

Toddler Rectangles



Here’s a fun way to introduce rectangles to your toddler’s ever-growing vocabulary – make a hands-on messy painting!





While brainstorming about reinforcement activities for our shapes of the month, I was surprised I couldn’t find any ideas on Pinterest, so I just came up with my own, and it was a big hit.




The secret is painter’s tape! I love painter's tape. This is a reminiscent of our square craft from October. We actually made this rectangle craft in January, when our color focus was black and white.




Therefore, I taped off rectangles on white paper and we fingerpainted over them with black paint. How much easier can you get?!




After the paint dried, I removed the tape, and voila! We had some lovely black and white rectangles!




I liked that they could see the rectangles as they were painting over the tape; although the teacher did the final step for the finished product, they could still tell what it would be as they were squishing paint all over it.




Of course, the kids were more excited about the spreading of paint than the shape they were painting over, but that’s why it’s just an introduction to shapes. And several of them did learn the word “rectangle.”




P.S. A word to the wise: do not work in toddler classrooms if you can’t handle messes!




4 comments:

  1. Just commented on an older post...but saw this recent one...
    Would you mind sharing with me what paint do you use and where to buy it?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was actually Colorations washable finger paint, purchased by our school from Discount School Supply.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the quick reply. I will go check to see if my local Michaels carry it. Cool blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fun!! What kind of paper did you use?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...